LAVA is an Obie and Bessie award-winning performance troupe that explodes with empowerment and flows with creative invention. The women of LAVA are fierce, witty, and powerful while sharing their humanity and sincerity in work that defies gravity, convention, and all expectations.
Book us for any of the following:
LAVA is available for performances in theaters, schools, universities, and non-traditional
venues. We adapt our selection of repertory pieces to best communicate with the specific
audiences and spaces that we perform in.
• Our repertory includes works with 4 to 7 performers
• It can be done in spaces that do or do not accommodate rigging
• Our minimum playing space is 20' x 24'
"If you need proof that the human body can do miraculous and beautiful things, look no further."
- Liz Gold, 14KaratLiving.com, December 2011
LAVA workshops and classes offer participants the opportunity to learn some of the things that they see in a LAVA performance. Click here to watch a video about LAVA classes
- Workshops can cover a range of skills from basic acrobatics including handstands and simple tumbling to dance composition and group pyramids.
- Workshops integrate partnering, teamwork, strength, and enjoyment.
- The ultimate goal is that participants feel physically empowered and inspired, and have the opportunity to work with the other members of the class in a way that is challenging, complex, and deeply rewarding.
"LAVA is intrinsically collaborative and adaptive in its philosophy...They listen and respond with their whole bodies..." - DJ Tikka Masala, VelvetPark, December 2011
LAVA can combine performance with workshops and other projects to involve your community and/or students in our work and our working process. You can participate with LAVA via:
• master classes
• performance projects with students
• performances that integrate students into a performance with the professional troupe
"...an enjoyable entertainment experience and interesting statement about how we relate to the concepts of movement and direction, and how they relate to us." - Judd Hollander, Stagebuzz.com, December 2011
Please contact us so we can further discuss how we may meet your needs:
Sarah East Johnson, Artistic Director
"That's what LAVA makes: unexpected images of female bodies, interdependence and power." - Lizzie Simon, The Wall Street Journal, June 2011
Founded in 2000 by Sarah East Johnson, the Obie and Bessie award-winning LAVA has built a choreographic language that incorporates contemporary dance, acrobatics, social dancing, and athleticism, reflecting a commitment to developing a unique dance form that celebrates strength, teamwork, empowerment, and collaboration.
LAVA's performance work has been seen in some of the country's most respected avant-garde venues, including in New York City at PS 122, The Kitchen, The Flea Theater, Dixon Place, Dance Theater Workshop, The Joyce Theater, Spiegeltent, and City Center. LAVA has performed nationally at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, MASS MoCA, Bard College, The Walker Art Center, the Annenberg Center, and at festivals and theaters in Minneapolis, San Francisco, Boston, Michigan, Maine, and internationally in Argentina, Australia, and the Caribbean.
To learn more about LAVA, browse photos and video in our Gallery, read Reviews of our past performances, read about our Appearances in NYC and around the world, and find out about the classes we offer at the LAVA Studio, our home in NYC.